PURIFICATION OF DRINKING WATER FROM NATURAL RADIONUCLIDES AND MANAGEMENT OPTIONS FOR NORM
3-4 March 2020. Viimsi (Estonia)
The consumption of drinking water can be a source of additional radiation dose for humans, thus it is important to monitor and guarantee the compliance with the water radiological parameters. How to achieve that? Who is responsibility is it?
The LIFE ALCHEMIA European project, co-financed by the LIFE Programme of the European Union, aims to demonstrate the feasibility of environmentally sustainable systems based on bed filters to removal/reduce the natural radioactivity in water, and minimize the generation of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) in the purification stages.
The organized seminar will focus on addressing the following topics:
- Naturally occurring radionuclides in drinking water – problem for the consumer or provider?
- Creation of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) in drinking water treatment plants – possible to avoid it?
- The potential of a new hydrous manganese oxide (HMO) technology to remove radiological and inorganic constituents (e.g. Fe and Mn) from drinking water.
- How to make and economic decision on the selection of water purification technology.
- Technical visit to the Viimsi DWTP where the project pilot plant is installed.
This seminar is aimed at DWTP operators, water suppliers/managers, Public Administrations, policy makers in the area of environment and water policies, mainly.
The participation in the seminar is FREE OF CHARGE.
The seminar will be in English.
Due to limited participant capacity, please register one person per organisation.
List of speakers, shortly.
Programme will be available shortly.
Arriving by plane:
Tallinn Airport is situated just at the border of Tallinn (4 km from the center) with good connections to the city center.
- Tram nr. 4 stops just outside the airport with frequent connections with the city center.
- Bus nr. 49 connects airport directly with the seminar venue location in Viimsi. Bus stop is situated next to the tram stop.
- A Taxi stand is just outside the airport at the exit.
- Bus and tram tickets can be bought directly from the driver, costing 2 EUR.
Accommodation can be arranged at the seminar venue with a special price, single room €61,00 per night, Twin room €66,00 per night. Please book the room before 11.02.2020 to avoid missing out.
Accommodation includes a rich buffee breakfast and unlimited SPA center use (8 different saunas, pools, jacuzzis etc). Tallinn city center is only 10km away (about 20-30min depending on traffic conditions) and hotel has transfer options available to the city center and airport for €10/person/one way. Please book the transfer with the accommodation if needed.
Gallery and more information about the hotel here.
If you prefer to stay at the city center, then some options:
- Sokos Hotel Viru, Viru Väljak 4
- Radisson Hotel, Narva manatee 7c
- Metropol Spa Hotel, Roseni 9, 10111 Tallinn
- Hestia Hotel Europa, Paadi 5
Additional selection of hotels can be found here.
When staying at the city center, one has to consider that the travel time to the seminar venue takes over 30 min. From the city center, bus nr 1A can be used to reach the seminar venue. The bus stop is at Bus terminal in Viru Keskus (Viru Center).