The main objectives of LIFE ALCHEMIA project are:
- To demonstrate the technical and economic feasibility of bed filters that will be optimized to remove radioactivity from water and to minimize the generation of Naturally Occurring Radioactive Materials (NORM) exceeding the exemption level.
- 3 pilot plants in Spain and 1 pilot plant in Estonia will be operated with different strategies to prevent NORM generation.
- To replicate LIFE ALCHEMIA solutions in facilities of other 5 European countries (Italy, Poland and Finland, among others).
- To promote the transferability to other facilities and EU members.
- To encourage the active involvement of interested parties in the implementation of the Directive 2013/51/Euratom for minimising the environmental impact of radionuclides treatment in water provision services.